We have purchased thousands of certificates using Trustico as a reseller within
the last years.

Back in these days Trustico created CSR / Private Key pair within their online
platform (Yes, you read it right - you can create CSR/Private Key on their
webpage !!!) which was the default at this time and it is still possible to do
so in their web interface.

Regarding to our investigation they were only able to send the private keys for
those certificates where the CSR / private key pair were generated within their
online private key generating tool. This has to be the 23k amount of keys which
Jeremy received.

I am not aware of guidelines of the CA/B forum but keeping 23.000 (!) private
keys at your online platform seems more than alarming and is careless and the
public should be made aware of this fact.

We do not know all aspects of parties involved but we suspect that this could
be for economic reasons, because Trustico is offering a voucher for Comodo
certificates in order to replace the revoked RapidSSL/GeoTrust/DigiCerts
certificates now.
Furthermore they are spreading FUD regarding the upcoming distrust in Google
Chrome release and trying to force their customers to get a Comodo or
Trustico-branded certificate.

Very important: Do not revoke any certificate where Trustico is not able to
provide the private key!!!