On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 09:29:47 -0800 (PST)
"okaphone.elektronika--- via dev-security-policy"
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> On Monday, 5 March 2018 18:10:17 UTC+1, okaphone.e...@gmail.com
> wrote:
> Ah, found it. It was tialaramex who suggested that this could be how
> Trustico got the private keys.
> https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/80uaq3/digicert_certificates_being_revoked/duyg6pn/

I wrote this comment in response to a redditor who claimed they'd
received an email about this mass revocation although they were sure
they'd used best practices in issuing a CSR.

Now that we know in fact the reseller tried to have all certificates
revoked regardless of whether they had the private keys (and DigiCert
not unreasonably balked at doing this) it is likely the redditor in
question had got an email from their reseller and their cert was not
eventually revoked.

> Just speculation then. But still worth keeping in mind as something a
> reseller could be doing. I can just see some programmer coming up
> with this idea to workaround the problem of not having the private
> key. ;-)

I'm pretty sure I have seen this sort of practice, but I don't have any
hard evidence and it may be another of the bad ideas that has died out
as the market reforms.

In terms of the larger topic of this thread, I don't think we're going
to get very far putting pressure on CAs to fix resellers for reasons
several people have already mentioned. We can however encourage three
things that will help even though they can't overnight forbid
undesirable retention of other people's keys:

1. Education. Let's make sure material from the Trust Store owners,
from CAs, and from other entities we come into contact with describes
processes that are secure by default, such as the use of CSRs. Got a
document that skips the CSR "just for the example" ? Fix that, the same
way you'd show a normal family wearing seatbelts in a car in a movie
even though obviously for the movie they might be on a sound stage so
the seatbelts do nothing.

2. Implementation. Software vendors including Trust Store owners (such
as Microsoft and Apple) have an opportunity to "bake in" secure
approaches. The easier it is to do things the safer way, the less
likely users are to look for a shortcut from a reseller. Nobody is
offering a key generation feature so as to make the sales journey more
complicated and harder to use - if "just use a CSR" was the easy
option, that's all resellers would offer.

3. Customer focused standards. Rather than try to push from the CAs,
groups like PCI get to set demand, if the PCI compliance document
explicitly says that your private keys mustn't come from somebody else
then that's another reason somebody is going to get that right. I'm
sure there are other appropriate groups that mandate SSL and could
explicitly specify this as a requirement.