On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 9:34 AM Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

> On 26/12/2018 22:42, Peter Bowen wrote:
> > In the discussion of how to handle certain certificates that no longer
> meet
> > CA/Browser Forum baseline requirements, Wayne asked for the "Reason that
> > publicly-trusted certificates are in use" by the customers.  This seems
> > imply that Mozilla has an opinion that the default should not be to use
> > "publicly-trusted certificates".  I've not seen this previously raised,
> so
> > I want to better understand the expectations here and what customers
> should
> > consider for their future plans.
> >
> > Is the expectation that "publicly trusted certificates" should only be
> used
> > by customers who for servers that are:
> > - meant to be accessed with a Mozilla web browser, and
> > - publicly accessible on the Internet (meaning the DNS name is publicly
> > resolvable to a public IP), and
> > - committed to complying with a 24-hour (wall time) response time
> > certificate replacement upon demand by Mozilla?
> >
> > Is the recommendation from Mozilla that customers who want to allow
> Mozilla
> > browsers to access sites but do not want to meet one or both of the other
> > two use the Firefox policies for Certificates (
> >
> https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templates/blob/master/README.md#certificates
> > ) to add a new CA to the browser?
> >

> Also, is the recommendation that customers should not use publicly
> trusted certificates for servers that are meant to be accessed by the
> general public using a Mozilla web browser unless they are
>
> > - committed to complying with a 24-hour (wall time) response time
> > certificate replacement upon demand by Mozilla?

Could you help me understand how that question is meaningfully different
than what Peter originally asked?

He described three combined conditions to be met. You've described a
situation "What if you meet two, but not three". I believe that was
originally captured in his question, so what new information is being asked
about here?