The risk is primarily outages of major sites across the web, including certs
used in Google wallet. We’re thinking that is a less than desirable result, but
we weren’t sure how the Mozilla community would feel/react.  We’re still
considering revoking all of the certs on Jan 15th based on these discussions.
I don’t think we’re asking for leniency (maybe we are if that’s a factor?), but
I don’t know what happens if you’re faced with causing outages vs. compliance.
I started the conversation because I feel like we should be good netizans and
make people aware of what’s going on instead of just following policy.  I’m
actually surprised at least one other CA that has issued a large number of
underscore character certs hasn’t run into the same timing issues.

Normally, we would just revoke the certs, but there are a significant number of
certs in the Alexa top 100. We’ve told most customers, “No exception”. I also
thought it’s better to get the information out there so we can all make
rational decisions (DigiCert included) if as many facts are known as possible.

We are working with the partners to get the certs revoked before the deadline.
Most will. By January 15th, I hope there won’t be too many certs left.
Unfortunately, by then it’s also too late to discuss what happens if the cert
is not revoked. Ie – what are the benefits of revoking (strict compliance) vs
revoking the larger impact certs as they are migrated (incident report).
Unfortunately part 2, there’s no guidance on whether an incident report means
total distrust v. something on your audit and a stern lecture. I’d happily
suffer a lecture than take down a top site. Not so willing to gamble the whole
company. This is why we wanted to have the discussion now, despite no violation
so far. The response from the browsers is public  - that they cannot make that
determination. Does that mean we have our answer? Revoke is the only acceptable
response?