On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 8:22 PM Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy <

> I can't speak for Mozilla here, but I tried to lay out some clear
> expectations:
> 1) This is an extension of an existing incident, rather than treating it as
> an exception to some long-standing or new rule

2) This is being treated as part of the remediation (revocation) plan,
> rather than as an intentional violation of some other requirement

This framing is technically correct and quite helpful in this situation,
but I am concerned about what it appears to imply for other ambiguous
requirements. Seeking clarity through a discussion and vote, as happened
here, is more orderly than a sudden declaration that a practice is
forbidden. This particular situation is a bit like a law that is challenged
in court, then upheld by the court and enforced, as opposed to a new law
being retroactively enforced.

> 3) Going forward, "they weren't prepared for revocation" is not really an
> acceptable answer in and of itself, and for this particular incident,
> concrete proposals for how "They weren't prepared for revocation" can be
> addressed or mitigated go a long way to addressing the underlying root
> cause here, and by proxy, demonstrate a healthy awareness of and balancing
> of risk, and ways to concretely mitigate that for the future.
>
> Yes, this is the desired outcome.

Thanks James, Jeremy, Matt, and Ryan - I really appreciate the ideas that
have come out in this discussion. I'll be looking at ways to use some of
this thinking to improve the Mozilla incident reporting process -
suggestions are welcome.

- Wayne