On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 3:56 AM Pedro Fuentes via dev-security-policy <

> Understanding these arguments, I think it must considered that there are
> practical implications for the CAs to have Roots dedicated to each
> use-case. Having multiple Roots is neither encouraged nor well seen by some
> Root programs. Also, for a CA, adding a new Root is not only relatively
> onerous, but is specially impacting in time to market (at least 9 months to
> have it in the Mozilla Program, if everything goes smooth), while
> separating issuing CAs for each CP is much more easy... Actually just
> checking the EKUs in the subscriber certificate should be also enough to
> apply rules in most cases.

Note that the topic of whether or not subscriber EKUs was significantly
discussed in the past, and is why the policy is/tries to be very clear that
it applies to anything technically capable of SSL/TLS issuance, and not
merely leaf certificates. Considering the impact that a compromised CA can
have - for example, being able to issue arbitrary certificates - it's
hopefully clear why this is a necessary condition. Further, given that
subordinate certificates need to comply with the parent CA's policies, it
naturally results in what I described; where if you want divergent
policies, you need to separate out the hierarchies meaningfully and
technically.