On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 12:49 PM Dimitris Zacharopoulos via
dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> The question I'm having trouble answering, and I would appreciate if
> this was answered by the Mozilla CA Certificate Policy Module Owner, is
>
> "does Mozilla treat this finding as a violation of the current language
> of section 7.1 of the CA/B Forum Baseline Requirements"?

Speaking as the CA Certificate Policy Module Owner, and being aware of the
discussions that led to the current wording, I believe the intent of the BR
language is for serial numbers to contain 64-bits of entropy. I certainly
agree that the language could be improved, but I think the meaning is clear
enough and yes I do expect CAs to treat serial numbers that do not actually
consist of 64-bits of entropy as a BR and a Mozilla policy section 5.2
violation.

I believe answering this question would bring some clarity to the
> participating CAs.
>
> Thank you for pointing this out Dimitris. While it seems obvious to me, I
can understand if there is some uncertainty resulting from the opposing
arguments.

- Wayne