On 14/03/2019 10:59, Rob Stradling via dev-security-policy wrote:
> On 13/03/2019 22:28, Richard Moore via dev-security-policy wrote:
<snip>
>> If any other CA wants to check theirs before someone else does, then now is
>> surely the time to speak up.
>
> Someone else is in the process of checking...  ;-)

The purpose of this survey is to flush out any further CAs that are (or
have been) noncompliant with BR 7.1 but have not yet disclosed an
incident.

Having scanned the crt.sh database, I have produced the following
spreadsheet.  It covers all certificates known to crt.sh where the
notBefore date is between 30th September 2016(*) and 22nd February
2019(**), and where the issuing CA...
   - is currently trusted by Mozilla to issue serverAuthentication
certificates, and
   - has issued at least 1 certificate with a <64-bit serial number.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K96XkOFYaCIYOdUKokwTZfPWALWmDed7znjCFn6lKoc/edit?usp=sharing

When a value in column E is 100%, this is pretty solid evidence of
noncompliance with BR 7.1.
When the values in column E and G are both approximately 50%, this
suggests (but does not prove) that the CA is handling the output from
their CSPRNG correctly.

For some issuing CAs, the sample sizes are too small to be able to draw
any conclusions.

(*) This date was chosen because BR 7.1 says:
"Effective September 30, 2016, CAs SHALL generate non-sequential
Certificate serial numbers greater than zero (0) containing at least 64
bits of output from a CSPRNG."

(**) This is when Wayne started the discussion about DarkMatter, which
is what prompted the discovery that many CAs were falling short of BR 7.1.

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist