On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 9:19 AM Benjamin Gabriel via dev-security-policy <

> On 2/24/19 11:08 AM, Nex wrote:
>
> > The New York Times just published another investigative report that
> mentions
> > DarkMatter at length, with additional testimonies going on the
> > record:
>
> Dear Nex,
>
> The New York Times article that you reference does not add anything new to
> the misleading allegations previously published in the Reuters article.  It
> simply repeats ad-nauseum a false, and categorically denied, narrative
> about DarkMatter, under the guise of an investigative reporting on the
> alleged surveillance practices of governmental authorities of foreign
> countries.
>
> DarkMatter is strictly a commercial company which exists to provide
> cyber-security and digital transformation services to our customers in the
> United Arab Emirates, and the larger GCC and MENA regions.
>
> We have already noted that these misleading allegations about DarkMatter
> were originally planted by defamatory and false sources - in two (2)
> articles published on the internet - and are now repeatedly recycled by
> irresponsible journalists looking for a sensationalist angle on
> socio-political regional issues.  And we have consistently, and
> categorically, denied and refuted all of the allegations about DarkMatter,
> including on this forum. [1][2]
>
> The fact that New York Times has chosen to recycle these refuted false
> narratives about DarkMatter, without reaching out to inquire on the real
> DarkMatter story, is unfortunate.  At times like this - it is important to
> note that not all news reporting is based on factual or true events, and is
> sometimes based on undisclosed bias or in some instances on outright
> fraudulent reporting.[3][4][5][6][7][8]
>
> We continue to push for responsible journalism that is based on truth and
> verifiable facts.

One could also argue that these examples [3][4][5] show The Intercept
holding themselves accountable for false reporting, thus adding credibility
to their story on DarkMatter [9] that was published months later.

[9]
https://theintercept.com/2016/10/24/darkmatter-united-arab-emirates-spies-for-hire/

Regards,