четверг, 7 января 2016 г., 4:08:10 UTC+5 пользователь Paul Wouters написал:
> As was in the news before, Kazakhstan has issued a national MITM
> Certificate Agency.
>
> Is there a policy on what to do with these? While they are not trusted,
> would it be useful to explicitely blacklist these, as to make it
> impossible to trust even if the user "wanted to" ?
>
> The CA's are available here:
> http://root.gov.kz/root_cer/rsa.php
> http://root.gov.kz/root_cer/gost.php
>
> One site that uses these CA's is:
> https://pki.gov.kz/index.php/en/forum/
>
> Paul

I believe there's no need to be aggressive or political in this matter. This is
a very technical question. Imposed self-issued certificates are a threat to
user's privacy. But there's other side of the question. Looking from the
outside, the whole country becomes somewhat toxic to entire Internet
infrastructure. If there's definite possibility that all traffic from this
country might be forged, re-encrypted or otherwise modified, it poses a threat
to a whole bunch of Internet services (actually, all of them), such as social
media, business resources and so on, because they have no knowing who they are
dealing with - real user or his forged identity. To mention only one example,
it makes KYC procedures highly problematic - there might be no sane way to
perform them in this case.
Critical business services, such as cloud providers (Amazon, Google, Microsoft
and so on), are also in danger as there's no more certainty who's using their
services. Not to mention infinite possibilities for bots and troll factories in
this case (social media are in the same danger).
So I believe that Mozilla has to considerate both sides of the question: 1)
User's privacy and 2) Global security of Internet (imagine totally plausible
option of certificate's private keys leaked to some anonymous hackers). And
blacklist this and all other possible initiatives of Kazakhstan government.

P.S. Just to clarify on the level of usual governmental security procedures in
this country (as I am a citizen of a mentioned state). Until recent time when
you had your governmental digital signature issued (which is used to sign
documents on governmental sites such as egov.kz), passphrase was limited to 8
symbols. You were not allowed to have more than 8 symbols in your passphrase!
Recently their lifted this prohibition, though. So I wouldn't trust them such
complex things as cryptography and security.

Ivan