> On 17 Sep 2019, at 14:34, Rob Stradling via dev-security-policy
> <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Kurt.  I agree, hence why I proposed:
>
>   "- I would also like to see BR 4.9.10 revised to say something roughly
> along these lines:
>    'If the OCSP responder receives a status request for a serial number
>     that has not been allocated by the CA, then the responder SHOULD NOT
>     respond with a "good" status.’"

I suppose one issue there is for CAs which allocate the serial number very
early on in the issuance workflow - signing a dummy certificate with an
untrusted key, for instance, but not committing the CA to actually producing
either a pre-certificate or certificate (e.g, because the applicant has
insufficient funds to complete the process). It would not seem correct to start
answering (affirmatively) OCSP requests where no artefact has been signed by a
trusted key.

It seems to me that the trigger point to start answering OCSP requests for a
(Issuer, Serial Number) request would be when the serial number has been
allocated AND an artefact has been signed by an issuer private key.

In other words, a CA might well allocate a serial number, which, if all goes
well, will find its way into a certificate; but until a publicly trusted
signature has been made on a TBSCertificate containing that serial number, an
OCSP responder is behaving properly were it to answer “Never heard of that
serial number for that Issuer”.

Regards,

Neil