This is a great discussion and I want to thank everyone for their continued
input. Let me try and summarize my interpretation based on the input from this
thread and related RFC.

My interpretation is an “unknown” OCSP response should be used in the following
conditions:
1. When the OCSP request contains an issuerNameHash and issuerKeyHash for which
the OCSP responder is NOT authoritative (wrong issuing CA).
2. When the OCSP request contains an issuerNameHash and issuerKeyHash for which
the OCSP responder IS authoritative (correct issuing CA) but for whatever
reason the OCSP responder does not know the status of the requested
certificates and ONLY if the certificate for which the status is requested
contains another OCSP responder URL available in the AIA extension.

My interpretation is a “revoked” OCSP response should be used in the following
conditions:
1. When the OCSP request contains an issuerNameHash and issuerKeyHash for which
the OCSP responder IS authoritative and the requested certificate has been
revoked.
2. When the OCSP request contains an issuerNameHash and issuerKeyHash for which
the OCSP responder IS authoritative and the CA corresponding to the
issuerNameHash and issuerKeyHash has been revoked.
3. When the OCSP request contains an issuerNameHash and issuerKeyHash for which
the OCSP responder IS authoritative and the requested certificate has not been
issued. This OCSP response MUST include the extended revoked definition
response extension in the response, indicating that the OCSP responder supports
the extended definition of the "revoked" state to also cover non-issued
certificates. The SingleResponse related to this non-issued certificate MUST
specify the revocation reason certificateHold (6), MUST specify the
revocationTime January 1, 1970, and MUST NOT include a CRL references extension
or any CRL entry extensions. [1]

I agree number 3 above is in conflict with the BRs as pointed out by Wayne.

- Curt

[1] RFC 6960: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6960