From: Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:49 PM
To: Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.row...@digicert.com>
Cc: Wayne Thayer <wtha...@mozilla.com>; Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com>;
mozilla-dev-security-policy <mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>
Subject: Re: Mozilla Policy Requirements CA Incidents

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 6:42 PM Jeremy Rowley
<jeremy.row...@digicert.com<mailto:jeremy.row...@digicert.com>> wrote:
Tackling Sub CA renewals/issuance from a compliance perspective is difficult
because of the number of manual components involved. You have the key ceremony,
the scripting, and all of the formal process involved. Because the root is
stored in an offline state and only brought out for a very intensive procedure,
there is lots that can go wrong  compared to end-entity certs, including bad
profiles and bad coding. These events are also things that happen rarely enough
that many CAs might not have well defined processes around. A couple things
we’ve done to eliminate issues include:

  1.  2 person review over the profile + a formal sign-off from the policy
authority
  2.  A standard scripting tool for generating the profile to ensure only the
subject info in the cert changes.  This has basic some linting.
  3.  We issue a demo cert. This cert is exactly the same as the cert we want
to issue but it’s not publicly trusted and includes a different serial. We then
review the demo cert to ensure profile accuracy. We should run this cert
through a linter (added to my to-do list).

We used to treat renewals separate from new issuance. I think there’s still a
sense that they “are” different, but that’s been changing. I’m definitely
looking forward to hearing what other CAs do.

It's not clear: Are you suggesting the the configuration of sub-CA profiles is
more, less, or the as risky as for end-entity certificates? It would seem that,
regardless, the need for review and oversight is the same, so I'm not sure that
#1 or #2 would be meaningfully different between the two types of certificates?

That said, of the incidents, only two of those were potentially related to the
issuance of new versions of the intermediates (Actalis and QuoVadis). The other
two were new issuance.

So I don't think we can explain it as entirely around renewals. I definitely
appreciate the implicit point you're making: which is every manual action of a
CA, or more generally, every action that requires a human be involved, is an
opportunity for failure. It seems that we should replace all the humans, then,
to mitigate the failure? ;)

To go back to your transparency suggestion, would we have been better if:
1) CAs were required to strictly disclose every single certificate profile for
everything "they sign"
2) Demonstrate compliance by updating their CP/CPS to the new profile, by the
deadline required. That is, requiring all CAs update their CP/CPS prior to
2019-01-01.

Would this prevent issues? Maybe - only to extent CAs view their CP/CPS as
authoritative, and strictly review what's on them. I worry that such a solution
would lead to the "We published it, you didn't tell us it was bad" sort of
situation (as we've seen with audit reports), which then further goes down a
rabbit-hole of requiring CP/CPS be machine readable, and then tools to lint
CP/CPS, etc. By the time we've added all of this complexity, I think it's
reasonable to ask if the problem is not the humans in the loop, but the wrong
humans (i.e. going back to distrusting the CA). I know that's jumping to
conclusions, but it's part of what taking an earnest look at these issues are:
how do we improve things, what are the costs, are there cheaper solutions that
provide the same assurances?