If my question doesn't belong in this group, please let me know which
one I should post in, thanks.

We use Selenium for web testing automation. And one of the biggest
problems we face with Selenium is handling of self signed certificates
(we use self-signed certs for daily builds). There are alternatives
that do work, but they are not a good solution for as with every build
our certificates change.

Another simple & probably effective solution is to populate the
cert_override.txt & cert8.db with the relevant self-signed cert &
continue with our automation uninterrupted. This page -
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Cert_override.txt - describes the
format of cert_override.txt and I can use openssl to get the first 4
parts of cert_override.txt. But I am having problems with the 5th part
- "Certificate's serial number and the issuer name as a base64 encoded
string". I can get the cert's serial number & issuer name usign
openssl, but a simple base64 encoding of those values doesn't seem to
be right. Can any one please tell me (or point me to a location) how
this  magic string is generated?