On 14/10/09 05:17, Daniel Veditz wrote:
Like the slashed-lock that indicates mixed mode (and is far too subtle
for my tastes) I expect a lot of users wouldn't even notice, but hope
that enough will to nudge things in the right direction.

Right. The intended effect is on the site owner, not on their customers. The site owner won't know what percentage of his customers have been scared away by the uglybar - and that's what makes it so worrying.

Regarding mixed content, doesn't IE 8 just block the insecure content by default, and silently? If so, can't we now switch to doing the same?

Gerv