On 12/28/2008 4:46 AM, Ian G wrote [in part]:
> On 28/12/08 12:13, Kai Engert wrote:
>
>> If we'd like to be strict, we could remove CAs from our approved list if
>> they have shown to be non-conforming in the above way.
>

> Yes, we could!  But this is what we call a blunt weapon.  It is also a
> dangerous weapon.  Consider (all) the consequences in the current case.
>
> First, losses we will incur, regardless:
>
>    1.  Certs:  All end-users who rely on these certs will lose.  That
> probably numbers in the millions.  All subscribers will lose, probably
> in the thousands.  The CA will lose;  potentially it will lose its
> revenue stream, or have it sliced in half (say), which is what we would
> call in business circles a plausible bankrupcy event.

So when a CA behaves badly, we should still be concerned that the CA
might lose money?  Because a CA might go bankrupt, we should do nothing?

How about the users of Mozilla products who might lose money or even go
bankrupt because they trusted a root certificate from such a CA?  No,
such losses are not known (yet).  What did happen, however, indicates
that such losses are indeed possible and not only through Certstar.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>