Am Montag, 3. Februar 2014 22:50:38 UTC+1 schrieb Chris Newman:
> As a non-Firefox/non-HTTP consumer of NSS, I'd like to see an NSS API flag
> indicating a cipher suite is retained for backwards compatibility but
> considered inferior by cryptographic community standards at the time the
> NSS library was built.

Yes, awesome. That's the NSS-equivalent of my proposal.
Basically, there should be a definition for ciphers that says "ok" or "weak",
exposed via API.

> A. is unacceptable because it breaks copy/paste of URLs

Copy/paste does some magic here (Firefox currently does not show "http://"; but
copies the complete URL string).

> B. For UI, I'd suggest a ? over the padlock rather than a red bar. The
> community believes RC4 may be vulnerable to high-skill attackers and is
> likely to become more vulnerable to other attackers over time. That's
> questionable security, not no security. It's still a lot better than
> unencrypted (which is what you get if you remove RC4 prematurely).

Hmm, good point. You have to think about your friend's parents, though, any
not-entirely-obvious UI (even if it is actually correct) may confuse people.
But let's leave that to the UI team. My sketch was for illustratory purposes
only.

> C. The "https" URI scheme specifies the protocol not the policy so it
> technically does not imply the connection is or will be secure. But I agree
> this is non-obvious to at least some users and prefer option B.

Most people are trained to look for "https:" on banking sites (because they
were told that's how they identify a "secure connection"), so they may not see
that the security on that connection is weak.
But again, UI is for UI team. ;)

> Regardless, I think NSS should provide the flag, and Firefox can design the
> UI.

Yes, I agree.

Best regards,

Florian Bender