I would consider the lack of support in other browsers, and the
extra complexity in our codebase as a reasonably compelling reason.
Also perhaps that we've already (long ago, I think) unshipped
support for colspan=0 for similar reasons.

Table height calculation is among the least interoperable
longstanding features of the Web, and I think anything we can do to
simplify it and to improve interoperability on what's left would be
a good thing.

(Has Chrome also added support for colspan=0?)

-David

On Friday 2018-03-02 07:49 -0800, Manish Goregaokar wrote:
> Looks like there's no compelling reason to unship.
>
> Retracting.
>
> -Manish Goregaokar
>
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 9:25 AM, Manish Goregaokar <manishsm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > > Is the only reason that no one else supports it?
> >
> > Yes. (which makes me suspect that nobody uses it)
> >

> > However, as mentioned, Chrome *has* added support, it's not stable yet.
> >

> > -Manish Goregaokar

> >> I'm saying that this feature is there for actual data tables.  And that
> >> the suggestion that Grid is a replacement is not actually helpful given
> >> that.
> >>
> >> That won't work, you'd need to create a new table with grid stuff.
> >>>

> >> Seems to me that asking people to do this for an actual data table is
> >> just as bad as asking people to use tables for layout.  ;)
> >>
> >> In that case we probably shouldn't unship?
> >>>

> >> The one thing I haven't seen so far is why we should unship, really.  Is
> >> the only reason that no one else supports it?  (To be clear, this can
> >> absolutely be a valid reason, especially if the other UAs have explicitly
> >> said they will not add support or the feature causes some other problems
> >> too, in terms of either implementation or the health of the web.)
> >>

> >> -Boris

π„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂
𝄒   Mozilla                          https://www.mozilla.org/   𝄂
             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know