Github user keith-turner commented on the issue:
    One option to consider instead of modifying RFile is to make it a decorator
like [BloomFilterLayer][1].  BloomFilterLayer stores its information in RFile
metadata.  I'm think will be problems with this approach, but I would not know
what they are w/o actually trying it.
    Are you considering making this a generic histogram functionality, where
the user can configure a function that emits counts for a given Key Value?

contact infrastructure at or file a JIRA ticket
with INFRA.