Github user joshelser commented on the issue:
    > One option to consider instead of modifying RFile is to make it a
decorator like BloomFilterLayer. BloomFilterLayer stores its information in
RFile metadata. I'm think will be problems with this approach, but I would not
know what they are w/o actually trying it.
    This is my first foray into the RFile codebase, so I am very happy to be
redirected into a different implementation :). My liberal use of increasing
visibility on classes ought to be apparent haha.
    > Are you considering making this a generic histogram functionality, where
the user can configure a function that emits counts for a given Key Value?
    If we can abstract this specific feature into something more generic
without it blowing up, I'm ok with that. I just don't have a big picture view
right now.

contact infrastructure at or file a JIRA ticket
with INFRA.