the RM for Hadoop 3.0.0 has been periodically updating when he aims to have
release votes done:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/Hadoop+3.0.0+release

Obviously not guaranteed, since it is an active ASF project. ;)

We can have Accumulo releases, just not GA releases. So we could mimic
Hadoop's versioning and vote out 2.0.0-alpha-X, 2.0.0-beta-X, etc. We would
expressly call out that our normal compatibility promises wouldn't apply to
these. Or that only a reduced form applies if we have some assurances from
Hadoop.

As for migration, maybe after we know what Accumulo 2.0 on Hadoop 3.0 looks
like (I guess beta timeframe?) we can then work out if we should add
Hadoop2 and Hadoop 3 support in a future 1.y release and require
double-rolling-upgrade for no downtime upgrade.

--
busbey