Github user milleruntime commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pull/289

    > @milleruntime What's your feeling on using javax.validation.constraints
right in the method signature?

    I am on the fence with using external validation.  One one hand, it doesn't
make sense to bring in a slew of dependencies just for a few annotations.  I
have seen full web apps plagued by this in the past.  And since the monitor
isn't the heart of Accumulo, I am more hesitant to include something like this.
 On the other hand, if it is only one transitive dependency, I can definitely
see the benefits it brings through custom code minimization and enhanced end
point security, since this type of validation is quite common with web apps.

    I am curious to see what type of errors are thrown by the validation.  I
have seen frameworks like hibernate obscure error handling, especially at the
front end.  Although, I don't think we have any error handling on the REST
endpoints yet so perhaps that could be a follow on task.

---
with INFRA.
---