The move from SVN to GIT had a clear plan for what happens to the old code,
and a migration strategy for moving commits over.

I think we're having trouble communicating here, but I'm really coming at
this from the perspective of "what if this is fabulously successful" - I
don't want to be seen as the curmudgeon impeding community because this is
how things were back in my day or whatever.

Let's say we do a trial. Let's say that everybody loves it, everybody
becomes 2x more productive, we get 3x more new contributors, whatever. All
good things!

Some of the concerns brought up would be answerable with a trial. How do we
do a release? What does aggregating issues fixed in a particular version
look like? Sure, I'm fine with people not knowing now, and giving a
concrete answer as to how a trial would help them figure this out.

A trial would also answer how we handle security issues - JIRA can make
certain issues only visible to PMC. Is there a GH issues equivalent?
Probably. Do I want to discover that there isn't a way to do this in three
years when somebody privately reports one? Absolutely not. This should
actually be answerable before the trial, but is something that should be
tested during. I assume there's a workable solution, but we need to know
what it is.

Some issues are not answerable with a trial, however. What happens to our
old issues? Do we close them as Won't Fix? Do we migrate them? Do we lock
JIRA and leave the archives up as a historical reference? If there is some
aspect of a trial that would answer this, then I'm all ears.

Again, I'm not trying to fight growth here. I'm assuming that switching
will be a given once the trial gets off the ground. I know that those
advocating for it already like GH Issues, otherwise they wouldn't be
proposing this change. My questions are all of the nature, "after we
switch, what do we do with [current process X]?"

Mike