Thanks for pointing this out Yuseok. I am hitting the same problem.

I took a look into this, and it seems the same as you described --
GitHub does not allow contributors without write access to reopen their PR if
it was closed by a maintainer. It needs write access to reopen.

To avoid adding burden to maintainers, I suggest introducing a small
temporary GitHub workflow to deal with it:
Contributors can leave a comment as a command in their own PR, and the
workflow reopens it automatically after
checking the "closed because of open PR limit" label and a few other
conditions
(the commenter is the author, and the author is still under the 5 open PR
limit).

I opened a PR for this and would like some opinions on it:
https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/73747

I also considered simply asking contributors to open a new PR from the same
branch instead, but that loses labels maintainers already added
(e.g. backport labels), and it goes against what the closure comment
promised: nothing is lost and PRs can be reopened.

I think this gives contributors less friction while staying within the new
limit, without bothering maintainers.
But I would still like to hear what maintainers think... In case I am
missing something.

Thanks,
Andrew

Yuseok Jo <[email protected]> 於 2026年9月26日週六 上午7:07寫道:

> Hi Jarek,
>
> Thanks for driving this. I agree with the direction, and the guide makes
> the next steps clear.
>
> One thing others may hit too. Reopening my closed PRs does not work. The
> CLI fails, and the Reopen button is not shown in the web UI, even though
> I'm under the limit and the branches are unchanged. My guess is that GitHub
> does not let an author without write access reopen a PR closed by someone
> with write access, which would affect everyone in the one-time closure.
>
> Thanks,
> Yuseok
>
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2026 at 5:56 AM Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > A quick update: https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/73469 is
> > merged, and the limits are now in place. Contributors without write
> > access can have at most 5 open PRs at a time. Committers are not
> > affected.
> >
> > I've also run the one-time closure
> > (dev/close_prs_over_open_pr_limit.py). The results:
> >
> > * 210 PRs closed, from 21 contributors. The largest counts were 31,
> > 26, 24 and 21 PRs from a single contributor. Most of the rest had 13
> > or fewer, typically around 5-10.
> > * Most of them were recent: 110 opened in September, 63 in August.
> > * PRs where a maintainer was already engaged stayed open.
> > * Every closed PR has a comment explaining why, with a link to the
> > guide (contributing-docs/32_open_pull_request_limit.rst). Each also
> > has the "closed because of open PR limit" label, so they are easy to
> > find:
> >
> >
> https://github.com/apache/airflow/pulls?q=is%3Apr+label%3A%22closed+because+of+open+PR+limit%22
> >
> > If a contributor asks about a closed PR, please point them to the
> > guide. It explains how to choose which PRs to reopen, up to the limit.
> >
> > J.
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> >
> >
>

Reply via email to