I am very happy with this. Three primary reasons

  1.
Open source is about collaboration rather than full ownership. I see it as a 
form of "help".
  2.
As you mention, it's just minor mechanical touchups, so shouldn't affect 
learning too much - and the responsibility of going through the commit to learn 
should be on the contributor too!
  3.
Number of PRs will go down at a faster rate. The project, I feel, currently 
needs this.

On 2026-10-06 08:17 UTC Jarek Potiuk wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> In order to improve our "agentic AI" workflows, I have recently
> changed my approach for pull requests that are "almost ready" and need
> only small fixes, such as mechanical conflicts, typos, or minor
> comment updates. I would love to get your feedback on this pattern.
>
> Previously, when a PR had one or two minor issues, I would approve it,
> add inline comments specifying the necessary changes, and ask the
> author to fix them. Recently, I have often adopted this approach
> instead:
>
> - Make inline comments explaining the issue
> - Rebase and remove conflicts if needed
> - Apply the fixup myself (pushing directly to the contributor's branch).
> - Comment and resolve my own inline comments.
> - Approve and merge once CI checks pass.
>
> I only do this for small gaps, edge cases, mechanical fixes, or
> documentation updates that do not alter the substance of the PR. The
> PR remains primarily the author's work, with minor co-authored fixes.
>
> This pattern offers several benefits:
>
> - Efficiency: With agentic-assisted reviews, the AI already has the
> context and proposed fix, taking only seconds to apply and push.
> - Faster Merges: Eliminates additional review roundtrips and avoids
> new conflicts from interim merges.
> - Fewer Iterations: Prevents extra back-and-forth if a comment is
> misunderstood or incompletely fixed.
> - Keeps Educational Value: The author receives both an explanation
> of the issue and code for the solution.
> - PR Capacity: Frees up contributor PR slots sooner.
> - Throughput: Helps us process a higher volume of PRs more quickly.
>
> The main tradeoff is that the author learns by reading rather than
> doing, which could potentially lead to a more relaxed approach to
> minor details. However, if restricted strictly to minor, mechanical
> adjustments—while still using "Request Changes" for larger gaps—I
> believe the benefits outweigh the downsides.
>
> I would love to hear what others—especially contributors and fellow
> maintainers—think about this workflow.
>
> Best regards,
> Jarek
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>
>

Reply via email to