https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork

There you go, docs. Like I said, it’s a GH feature. They ticked the box, they 
let us do it.

And has anyone been surprised so far?


> On 8 Oct 2026, at 16:06, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Put most directly: what would someone do differently having this
> information, vs if they didn’t have it?
> 
> They would not be surprised and raise their concerns - or if they did we
> would direct them to the docs.
> 
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2026 at 4:58 PM Ash Berlin-Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Put most directly: what would someone do differently having this
>> information, vs if they didn’t have it?
>> 
>> This simply doesn’t need documenting, because it’s not something _we as a
>> project_ do. It’s something some maintainers might do when they feel like
>> it or choose to.
>> 
>> None of the other things you mention below are even remotely similar to
>> this.
>> 
>> Editing a document isn’t done when there’s nothing left to add, it’s done
>> when there is nothing left to take away.
>> 
>> 
>>> On 7 Oct 2026, at 14:27, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Hi Ash and others,
>>> 
>>>> Why does it need documenting? Our docs are already way, way WAY too
>> long.
>>> 
>>> Tl;DR; Mostly to document "Whys" rather than follow cargo-cult rules that
>>> result from the whys - and make it easier to adapt them in the future.
>>> 
>>> Without documentation, neither AI agents nor new contributors will know
>> why
>>> we are doing things and will continue rediscovering decisions we
>>> already discussed and agreed upon. This makes it difficult to challenge
>> the
>>> rules when better ways to follow the "whys" emerge in the future.
>>> 
>>> In my view, our documentation is still not comprehensive enough (and
>> never
>>> will be) comprehensive enough and has a number of gaps in our
>>> "institutional" knowledge Capturing this knowledge—and ensuring it is
>>> searchable, unambiguous, and maintained—allows us to align on basics and
>>> focus on higher-level discussions.
>>> 
>>> We have already seen this pay off with our recent agentic work. The ADRs
>>> and guidelines maintainers added have significantly improved PR quality,
>> as
>>> I tracked and clearly saw in my triage trials.
>>> 
>>> With agents continuously keeping things in check, contributors no longer
>>> need to manually search through extensive documentation—a common claim -
>>> mostly true in the past: "nobody reads the docs.". People may read even
>>> less docs today, but their agents read and follow it, often explain them
>>> why they do things they do - after reading that in our docs - which is a
>>> classic "learn by doing" pattern. This reduces guesswork and frustration
>>> for new contributors. Instead of asking "Is this fine?" (or more
>> frequently
>>> being scolded for a rule they did not know existed), they can straight
>> away
>>> find out "Why are we doing this?", and when they see a place for
>>> improvement, they might challenge the way - or simply implement new ways
>> by
>>> following the whys -out spending much time with fighting the status quo.
>>> 
>>> And then - they can ask even more - and more important - "why" questions.
>>> When those "why" questions arise, documenting the answers prevents us
>> from
>>> having to get them asked and answer, freeing up space for more impactful
>>> discussions.
>>> 
>>> Without documenting the reasoning behind our decisions, we risk getting
>>> stuck in cargo-cult patterns where rules are followed without
>> understanding
>>> why. Documenting "why" gives new contributors the context they need to
>>> constructively challenge existing processes. And this is the only way we
>>> can grow: by continuously challenging and rediscovering better ways of
>>> doing things.
>>> 
>>> We saw this exact pattern with the introduction of Black, pre-commit
>> hooks,
>>> and CI rules. We used to spend time arguing over formatting and import
>>> styles. Now, these are automated, and our contribution guides explain the
>>> "why" behind them rather than just enforcing the "how."
>>> 
>>> This context also allows agents to fix issues autonomously and update
>>> documentation when parameters change for example or when tools get new
>>> capabilities - because they know "why" and can implement fixes and
>> propose
>>> improvements on their own - if the particular captured "tool call" gets
>>> wrong (happens all the time with our release processes now) - for example
>>> happened recently when flit got upgraded to version 4, agents found out
>> and
>>> fixed the issue, updated the docs, tested and compared the packages
>> before
>>> and after - without me asking them for it. All that because our release
>>> docs and breeze docs explained "what" we want to achieve and "why" - the
>>> "how" could be changed autonomously by the agent in the event of external
>>> environment change.
>>> 
>>> Documenting our decisions, the rationale behind them, rejected
>>> alternatives, and exception boundaries has successfully eliminated
>>> repetitive debates in the past (which I defeinitely do not miss) and
>> opened
>>> us up for new, more important discussions, and we should continue this
>>> approach. Get better every single day - mostly by documenting and
>>> automating what is important today, so that we make space for things that
>>> will come tomorrow.
>>> 
>>> Best regards,
>>> Jarek
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2026 at 1:28 PM Ash Berlin-Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Ah, so now here’s the possible point of contention:
>>>> 
>>>> Why does it need documenting? Our docs are already way, way WAY too
>> long.
>>>> 
>>>> I’ve been doing this _for years_. It’s up to the reviewer, and is a
>>>> natural part of GH PRs.
>>>> 
>>>> -ash
>>>> 
>>>>> On 7 Oct 2026, at 12:13, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>> Thanks for the feedback everyone !
>>>>> 
>>>>> Since this seems non-controversial (surprisingly) I will later today or
>>>>> tomorrow capture it in our contrbuting docs - so that our contributors
>>>> are
>>>>> not surprised by it (or at least we can direct them to it). I will open
>>>> PR
>>>>> later.
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2026, 11:42 Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2026, 11:19 Natanel <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> I think it's a very good idea, what we usually do (at our org) is
>> that
>>>> for
>>>>>>> small and minor changes, the reviewer adds suggestions, and the PR
>>>> owner
>>>>>>> can accept if he agrees, this also solves the org policy issue IMO,
>>>> maybe
>>>>>>> a
>>>>>>> good start is to encourage reviewers to leave suggestions for small
>>>>>>> changes
>>>>>>> rather than comments.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Oh absolutely :). I think this is the 'gradation': comment/ online
>>>> comment
>>>>>> (blocking unless resolved currently) / inline comment with suggestion
>> /
>>>>>> direct fixup.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> And we should IMHO choose whatever is appropriate depending on 'scope'
>>>> of
>>>>>> fix and urgency of the PR - for example I am.much more  info fixups
>> just
>>>>>> before preparing provider's release.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> It is limited to small changes, but from my point of view, an "almost
>>>>>>> done"
>>>>>>> pr only needs minor fixups.
>>>>>>> In case the PR owner does not reply and the PR is stale this might
>> not
>>>>>>> work, yet I think users with read access should be able to accept
>> those
>>>>>>> suggestions as well
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Any thoughts about this proposal?
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2026, 11:59 Ash Berlin-Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Org policy prevents us from changing this I think. Or at least I
>> have
>>>>>>>> never been able to find a setting that changes this :(
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> On 6 Oct 2026, at 17:52, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from
>>>> my
>>>>>>>> fork I can “allow edits from maintainers” <
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>> 
>> https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork
>>>>>>>> ,
>>>>>>>> and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that
>>>> box.
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> Yes. It is. For example all astronomer people contributing from
>>>>>>>>> astronomer repo have it disabled :D
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:47 PM Julian LaNeve via dev
>>>>>>>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> This may be a personal thing but when I’ve made contributions to
>>>>>>> other
>>>>>>>> OSS projects I generally care more about getting the change in than
>> I
>>>> am
>>>>>>>> attached to my particular code / implementation. So I always look at
>>>> it
>>>>>>> as
>>>>>>>> a win-win when someone takes my contribution and runs with it - I
>> can
>>>>>>>> always go back and look at the changes to learn if I want.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from
>>>> my
>>>>>>>> fork I can “allow edits from maintainers” <
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>> 
>> https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork
>>>>>>>> ,
>>>>>>>> and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that
>>>> box.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> On Oct 6, 2026, at 12:40 PM, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> Just to share my experience - I think I did it many times (more
>>>> than
>>>>>>>>>>> 50) and never got any push-back. But of course that might be
>>>> because
>>>>>>>>>>> people are shy / afraid to oppose me (I have a reputation for
>> being
>>>>>>>>>>> difficult).
>>>>>>>>>>> But when you think about it, there is no big **issue**:
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> * merging means that is no longer **author's code** - it becomes
>>>>>>>>>>> "community code"
>>>>>>>>>>> * maintainer's job is to make sure that the code is good and
>>>>>>>>>>> maintainable (this approach makes it works)
>>>>>>>>>>> * authorship remains - but also it's there is a co-author (this
>> is
>>>>>>>>>>> what is recorded in commit)
>>>>>>>>>>> * if the committer does not agree with author, they can merge
>>>> follow
>>>>>>>>>>> up commit changing things anyway
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> So - putting aside some possible personal ("it's my own, my
>>>>>>> precious")
>>>>>>>>>>> approach - I see no disadvantages of such an approach.
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> J.
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:28 PM Ferruzzi, Dennis via dev
>>>>>>>>>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> I've definitely considered it, but have not yet done it.  I
>> think
>>>>>>> I'm
>>>>>>>> concerned that the contributor may take it the wrong way rather than
>>>> "I
>>>>>>>> just fixed it while I was in there" and "it took just as long to fix
>>>> it
>>>>>>> as
>>>>>>>> it would have taken to explain it".
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> - ferruzzi
>>>>>>>>>>>> ________________________________
>>>>>>>>>>>> From: Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]>
>>>>>>>>>>>> Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2026 1:17 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>> To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
>>>>>>>>>>>> Subject: [EXT] [DISCUSS] Merging "almost" ready PRs with
>>>>>>>> maintainer-fixups from contributors
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization.
>>>> Do
>>>>>>>> not click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the
>> sender
>>>>>>> and
>>>>>>>> know the content is safe.
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> AVERTISSEMENT: Ce courrier électronique provient d’un expéditeur
>>>>>>>> externe. Ne cliquez sur aucun lien et n’ouvrez aucune pièce jointe
>> si
>>>>>>> vous
>>>>>>>> ne pouvez pas confirmer l’identité de l’expéditeur et si vous n’êtes
>>>> pas
>>>>>>>> certain que le contenu ne présente aucun risque.
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> Hello everyone,
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> In order to improve our "agentic AI" workflows, I have recently
>>>>>>>>>>>> changed my approach for pull requests that are "almost ready"
>> and
>>>>>>> need
>>>>>>>>>>>> only small fixes, such as mechanical conflicts, typos, or minor
>>>>>>>>>>>> comment updates. I would love to get your feedback on this
>>>> pattern.
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> Previously, when a PR had one or two minor issues, I would
>> approve
>>>>>>> it,
>>>>>>>>>>>> add inline comments specifying the necessary changes, and ask
>> the
>>>>>>>>>>>> author to fix them. Recently, I have often adopted this approach
>>>>>>>>>>>> instead:
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> - Make inline comments explaining the issue
>>>>>>>>>>>> - Rebase and remove conflicts if needed
>>>>>>>>>>>> - Apply the fixup myself (pushing directly to the contributor's
>>>>>>>> branch).
>>>>>>>>>>>> - Comment and resolve my own inline comments.
>>>>>>>>>>>> - Approve and merge once CI checks pass.
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> I only do this for small gaps, edge cases, mechanical fixes, or
>>>>>>>>>>>> documentation updates that do not alter the substance of the PR.
>>>>>>> The
>>>>>>>>>>>> PR remains primarily the author's work, with minor co-authored
>>>>>>> fixes.
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> This pattern offers several benefits:
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> - Efficiency: With agentic-assisted reviews, the AI already has
>>>> the
>>>>>>>>>>>> context and proposed fix, taking only seconds to apply and push.
>>>>>>>>>>>> - Faster Merges: Eliminates additional review roundtrips and
>>>> avoids
>>>>>>>>>>>> new conflicts from interim merges.
>>>>>>>>>>>> - Fewer Iterations: Prevents extra back-and-forth if a comment
>> is
>>>>>>>>>>>> misunderstood or incompletely fixed.
>>>>>>>>>>>> - Keeps Educational Value: The author receives both an
>> explanation
>>>>>>>>>>>> of the issue and code for the solution.
>>>>>>>>>>>> - PR Capacity: Frees up contributor PR slots sooner.
>>>>>>>>>>>> - Throughput: Helps us process a higher volume of PRs more
>>>> quickly.
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> The main tradeoff is that the author learns by reading rather
>> than
>>>>>>>>>>>> doing, which could potentially lead to a more relaxed approach
>> to
>>>>>>>>>>>> minor details. However, if restricted strictly to minor,
>>>> mechanical
>>>>>>>>>>>> adjustments—while still using "Request Changes" for larger
>> gaps—I
>>>>>>>>>>>> believe the benefits outweigh the downsides.
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> I would love to hear what others—especially contributors and
>>>> fellow
>>>>>>>>>>>> maintainers—think about this workflow.
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> Best regards,
>>>>>>>>>>>> Jarek
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>>>>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>>>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> 
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>> 
>>>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>> 
>> 

Reply via email to