> On 23 Apr 2017, at 09:17, Bolke de Bruin <bdbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 23 Apr 2017, at 03:46, Hitesh Shah <hit...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> 1.8.1-incubating.
>>>
>>> This is a bit tricky to do with Python builds. I don't really want to keep
>>> building RCs with the exact same version number. We bake these RCs in real
>>> environments, so we need to version them with something that distinguishes
>>> one from another. Once we set the version, that propagates into the
>>> pkg-info. The plan is to rebuild the final RC that passes without the rc
>>> notation, so the release doesn't contain it.
>>>

>> I understand the rationale but this means that there is a potential
>> difference in what is being voted upon and what is eventually being
>> published as a release.
>>
>> thanks
>> -- Hitesh
>
> Hi Hitesh,
>
> This is a chicken and egg problem. If we put a non release 1.8.1 online users
> will download  and install it. An update to this package will not trigger an
> upgrade on the user's side and it is hard to recognize (one will need to
> compare signature). It puts them at risk.
>
> Do you know how other python projects solved this? I will reach out to the
> libcloud guys and ask them how they did it (also python).
>
> Bolke

On further research I see that Apache Beam also does an update to the release
package after voting:

See:
https://github.com/apache/beam/compare/v0.6.0-RC2...release-0.6.0

Please note that there is NO VOTE on 0.6.0, but there is on RC2:
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?d...@beam.apache.org:lte=1y:vote

Libcloud votes twice, although they seem to have a different understanding of a
RC:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fb9ea1b77daf2abf34e386ede5f897d0d1b1a78921cb99717cef41a9@%3Cdev.libcloud.apache.org%3E
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b6eb8199dca753b0020b0427c248c0494a4d45611bbab9885658f7d9@%3Cdev.libcloud.apache.org%3E

Bolke.