Am Mittwoch, den 20.06.2007, 23:59 +0200 schrieb Marc Santhoff:
> > Many applications are designed and based solely on the OO Base *.odb
> > files.  The *.odb files are used either as the sole gateway to other
> > JDBC data sources (MySQL, Oracle, etc.) or as a genuine data source
> > (embedded HSQLDB).  Therefore these applications would not encounter the
> > need of conversion between sdbc.XConnection and java.sql.Connection.
> > Unfortunately my business constraints make this approach impractical.
>
> So concluding you have some applications in .odb's being data containers
> of which some are lateron transferred to central server databases?
>
> I think  reading the references threads would help me develop a deeper
> understanding ... the biggest problem in helping you is not knowing the
> existing structure and the contraints given.

I did some digging in those mails.

If you really need OO.o calc for collecting data (in internal HSQL
databases) and do some data mining and reporting on various sources
there is at least one possible solution:

Use HSQL in server mode (as opposite to OO.o-embedded mode) and let OO.o
and the custom java applications connect to them as needed.

That way you have the full bandwidth of organizing the db engines
(local, central, datacenter, ...) and the distribution boils down to a
software distribution (HSQL and the data files) and configuration
management problem. At least mid size companies have to deal with that
anyways and are prepared to do so.

Marc