I would like to suggest that the API includes a hint, since which OOo
version it is available. It is well done in "struct ControlCommand", but
that is to my knowledge the only place.
Take for instance "interface XDialogProvider2" (here mentioned
"unpublished" but here
"http://api.openoffice.org/docs/DevelopersGuide/Components/Components.xhtml
chapter 4.11" published with the hint that it is available since 2.0.4).

The background is that in the extension I can define the minimal OOo
version necessary. Even using SDK 2.3, the extension in this example
could be used since 2.0.4.

Dietmar