Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany wrote:
> > oh, I was under the impression the author is referring to c++ - so
> > then, it's Java? Should we add Java to the list of fragile
> > extension implementations as well? ;)
>
> Not sure you're doing the topic a good with this ....
>
> The mentioned mails indeed talked about Java extensions broken by the
> new bootstrap mechanism (a pretty singular event, hopefully, so please
> let's not hang this too high).

Hi Frank,

uh, I did use a ";)", right? Anyway, sorry for misunderstanding the
post.

> All known (to me :) C++ extensions use the UDK API only, which I think
> we should be even more careful with than with the "normal" office API.
> If we are, then there's no reason why C++ should not work in different
> OOo versions ... (well, introducing a dependency to the compiler version
> or something like this, might be a good idea, but that's independent
> from API compatibility, IMO.)

Compiler versions tend to change, as well as the baseline. And as
pointed out, there's other things that can go wrong (especially on
non-windows platforms). At any rate, I'd be fine agreeing on the
"c++ compatibility should have less weight" rule you suggested
elsewhere - after all, if you need to recompile your c++ extension
anyway because a new method or exception has been added to an
interface, you're doing that with an updated udk, don't you?

Cheers,

-- Thorsten