On 10/26/2010 03:07 PM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

Although I am ignorant in much of this, I do have some random thoughts.

Mathias Bauer mentioned allowing the container to control changes for
some items (such as he did with notes2), but that this may be a problem
with larger objects such as graphics objects and even OLE objects.
Right, it doesn't work for OLE objects, but in case the object could provide undo actions that don't require to be in edit mode, it should work for even the largest graphic objects. The difference between graphic objects and OLE objects is that the graphic object does not vanish after editing - it just may be in a different mode. But that is also true for the container itself where different "shell objects" are created and removed depending on the current editing context.

On the other hand, I do not expect that an OLE object will have any ability
to actively participate in the undo process, which forces implementation
back to the container (or you simply state that changes made to an OLE
object internally are not undoable). For some reason, I keep thinking
about the implications of a linked sheet in a Calc document.

I think that editing of OLE objects (and linked sheets are just a variant of them) should stay as they are: while you are editing the object, you might be able to undo parts of the editing, but after leaving the OLE object all changes made in this session can only be undone as a whole. A new API can't remove the intrinsic limitations of this concept.

Regards,

OpenOffice.org Engineering at Oracle: http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS
Please don't reply to "nospamfor...@gmx.de".