On 19/10/09 14:43, Jeff Trawick wrote:

Anyhow, APR currently lacks the configure options for at
least specifying data model (using CFLAGS=-m32&&  ./configure
is a little bit awkward and nowhere documented)

BTW, you have to specify the arch option in CC for all the
apr-n-config stuff to work properly.

Right. I meant that one.

Documentation of the general requirements would definitely be helpful.
  If that existed, would there be any real value in ordaining a
particular arch compiler flag?  That seems endless and out of scope
anyway.

Having an out-of-the-box solution would certainly help.

Automatically adding CFLAGS=-m32 or CFLAGS=-m64 by some
configure option is usually all that is needed.
Of course things get complicated with different compilers
Eg, for aCC on HP-UX this has to be CFLAGS=+DD32 or
CFLAGS=+DD64.

As part of my daily job I'm using something similar to
APR's config.layout and put the arch selection options
in that file. Changes to configure are trivial and just
merge those options
eg. ./configure --enable-layout=apr --enable-arch=suncc-32

Regards
--
^TM