On 19/10/09 16:37, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
Mladen Turk wrote:

Anyhow, APR currently lacks the configure options for at
least specifying data model (using CFLAGS=-m32&&  ./configure
is a little bit awkward and nowhere documented)

Resolving that would certainly be one small step helping
packagers to solve some of the multi-arch issues.

Bring this to the attention of the libtool and autoconf crew, it's precisely
what they set out to fix, right?  It sure doesn't seem worthwhile to hack
around such things in our configure schema (and fwiw, that is a problem,
above.  CC="gcc -m32" is much more reliable w.r.t. libtool and autoconf
detection.

This kind of approach doesn't help a bit.
We are saying: OK, we know how to do it, but we are purists
and don't wish to pollute or code base with something we
think should be part of the toolkit we are using.
Go and complain to them directly instead weening here.

Can scon resolve this? If not it seems to me we
are constantly choosing the wrong tools.

Regards
--
^TM