On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 2:48 PM Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 6:31 PM William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > That's very likely, and this can be researched further to dig up exactly
> how
> > subst is handled. (As you mention, it hasn't been common since the
> introduction
> > of proper junction and directory/file symlinks.)
> >
> > It appears that the root directory is always problematic for an svn
> checkout
> > (actually, most checkouts were problematic on svn when junctions or
> symlinks
> > were in play on windows.) Looks like some additional special handling is
> going
> > to be required even with queries on c:\ (a real, not a substituted
> volume root.)
>
> Thank you for looking into this.
>
> You're absolutely right: with TSVN 1.13 (APR 1.7.0) I get the same
> erroneous behavior when 'svn -st'-ing a checkout to C:\ (real drive)
>
> [[[
> C:\>svn st -q
> !       .
> ]]]

Here's another experiment that drives me batty...

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk httpd-2.x
svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/branches/2.4 httpd-2.4
svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/docs/trunk httpd-docs
ln -s httpd-docs httpd-2.4/docs/manual/build
ln -s httpd-docs httpd-2.x/docs/manual/build
(flip the args using mklink /d or mklink /j on windows)

You'll see svn is fluxored until you change directory. A similar ugliness
occurs if you attempt to check out a number of versions of httpd-test,
and attempt to point all of the X apache-test checkouts into a single
group.

What I've determined is that apr_stat and apr_getfileinfo differ in only
one aspect, that protections on a root directory are 700 or 777 based
on the way we dress up fprot bits from windows ACLs, or not.

> Can you successfully `svn co {repos} /` on linux? Hoping to understand the
> > scope of the issue.
>
> Sorry, no Linux at my disposal where I'm root. But I suppose the test
> above with the checkout to C:\ already confirms your hypothesis.

I'm not sure what svn is doing with the '.' root entity, but it likely made
some absurd assumptions about symlinks.