The problem with documentation is... ahem... that it's often not complete :)

One thing that would be worth considering is to come up with an aries
holder git repo, that has submodule or gits or similar connections to all
the aries subcomponents. That way it would at least be possible to get
everything with a single command...

I think other Apache projects are thinking about something similar. At
least the Sling community is planning to do something like this [1].

Cheers,

David

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/37765304556b17a04e7eb122afd895ea7beae957d56c9d4501a9f2e0@%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E