On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 12:00 AM Micah Kornfield <emkornfi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Wes,
> >
> > Do these need to be dependent on the 64-bit array length discussion?
>
> We could hack something that can read the lower 32-bit range, so I guess
> not, but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I think there is likely
> still enough time to have the discussion and get these implemented, one way
> or another.

I guess I still don't understand how the array lengths and the
List/Varchar offsets are related to each other. I probably just
haven't looked at the Java library enough. In C++ they are
independent, we could have 32-bit array lengths and variable-length
types with 64-bit offsets if we wanted (we just wouldn't be able to
have a List child with more than INT32_MAX elements). We would have to
do a limited amount of boundschecking at IPC boundary points (like
Java is checking presumably now for vectors exceeding INT32_MAX).

> For the record, I don't think we should hold a major release hostage
> > if we aren't able to complete various feature milestones in time.
> > Since it's been about 5-6 weeks since 0.14.0 we're coming close to the
> > desired 8-10 week timeline for major releases, so if we need to have
> > 0.16.0 prior to 1.0.0, I think that is OK also.
>
> I agree with the time based milestones in practice, but we are backpedaling
> on the intent to keep type parity between the two reference
> implementations.  At least the way I read the previous threads on the
> topic, I thought there was lazy consensus that in lieu of requiring working
> implementations in Java and C++ be checked in at the same time, we would
> rely on the release as a mechanism to forcing function for parity.

I agree with the intent and spirit of the idea, but it seems we have a
can of worms on our hands now and so I don't think we should keep from
releasing the work that has been completed if consensus about Java
changes is not reached in time.