Le 26/10/2023 à 17:45, Dewey Dunnington a écrit :
> A potential alternative might be to allow any ArrowArray to declare
> its buffer sizes in array->buffers[array->n_buffers], perhaps with a
> new flag in schema->flags to advertise that capability.

That sounds a bit hackish to me.

I'd rather live with the current arrangement for now. Once enough griefs with the C Data Interface accumulate, it will be time to think about a new specification.

We might want to keep the variadic buffers at the end and instead export
the buffer sizes as buffer #2? Though that's mostly stylistic...

I would prefer the buffer sizes to be after as it preserves the
connection between Columnar/IPC format and the C Data interface...the
need for buffer_sizes is more of a convenience for implementations
that care about this kind of thing than something inherent to the
array data.

How can you *not* care about buffer sizes, if you for example need to send the buffers over IPC?

Regards

Antoine.