Le 26/10/2023 à 20:02, Benjamin Kietzman a écrit :
Is this buffer lengths buffer only present if the array type is Utf8View?

IIUC, the proposal would add the buffer lengths buffer for all types if the
schema's
flags include ARROW_FLAG_BUFFER_LENGTHS. I do find it appealing to avoid
the special case and that `n_buffers` would continue to be consistent with
IPC.

This begs the question of what happens if a consumer receives an unknown flag value. We haven't specified that unknown flag values should be ignored, so a consumer could judiciously choose to error out instead of potentially misinterpreting the data.

All in all, personally I'd rather we make a special case for Utf8View instead of adding a flag that can lead to worse interoperability.

Regards

Antoine.