Le 26/10/2023 à 18:59, Dewey Dunnington a écrit :

That sounds a bit hackish to me.

Including only *some* buffer sizes in array->buffers[array->n_buffers]
special-cased for only two types (or altering the number of buffers
required by the IPC format vs. the number of buffers required by the C
Data interface) seem equally hackish to me (not that I'm opposed to
either necessarily...the alternatives really are very bad).

I think the plan for Utf8View is that `n_buffers` is incremented to reflect that additional buffer at the end.

How can you *not* care about buffer sizes, if you for example need to send the
buffers over IPC?

I think IPC is the *only* operation that requires that information?
(Other than perhaps copying to another device?) I don't think there's
any barrier to accessing the content of all the array elements but I
could be mistaken.

That's true, but IPC is implemented by all major Arrow implementations, AFAIK :-)

Regards

Antoine.