Hi,

I would say go for the 1.8.0

Note that there are a few issues that seem appropriate to include for
this one because they relate to a change in 'backwards compatibility":

- AVRO-1586 Build against Hadoop 2
  ( which should also fix AVRO-1453 Release version of avro-tools
compiled against hadoop2 )
- AVRO-1559 Drop support for Ruby 1.8

On a personal note I would like a 'Yes, commit' / 'No, won't fix'
choice from you guys regarding this proposal (Patch included):
   AVRO-1633 Add additional setXxx(Builder) method to make user code
more readable.

Niels Basjes

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Tom White <t...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> It would be good to do another Avro release soon. I'm happy to create
> a release candidate so we can vote on it.
>
> What do folks think about releasing 1.7.8 vs. 1.8.0? There are very
> few changes in the 1.7 branch, so it might be best to release 1.8.0
> from trunk. There have been enough changes to justify a new minor
> release I think. Are there any drawbacks to doing that?
>
> The unresolved 1.8.0 issues are here:
>
> http://s.apache.org/Cdt
>
> And the unresolved 1.7.8 issues are here:
>
> http://s.apache.org/5ShO
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Niels Basjes