I see that tox is set up for py2 but not py3.

You might just try, from the lang/py3 directory:

python3 setup.py test

But, you probably want to make any changes to lang/py, not lang/py3.
Per AVRO-2656 and discussion on this list there are plans to deprecate
avro-python3.

See:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-2656/
https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/744
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3e1f8ddd4a29945fe226872ce1ae336f93083aca0c5220f08de12474%40%3Cdev.avro.apache.org%3E

And in the 1.9.2 release notes:
> Work to unify Python2 and Python3 APIs in preparation for sunset.

Jacob