Hi,

@stevel: Flink is still experiencing a lot of community growth. Initially,
we accepted all contributions in an acceptable state. Then, we introduced
various models of "staging" and "contrib" modules, but by now, the amount
of incoming contributions is just too high for the core project.
Also, its a bit out of scope compared to the core engine we are building.
That's why we started looking at Bahir (and other approaches)

@Luciano, I'll answer to the multiple vs one repo discussion inline below

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 8:34 PM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Multiple Repositories:
> - Enable smaller and fast builds, as you don't have to wait on the other
> platform extensions

True, build time is an argument for multiple repos

> - Simplify dependency management when different platforms use different
> levels of dependencies

I don't think that the dependencies influence each other much.
For the one repository approach, the structure would probably be like this:

bahir-parent
-  bahir-spark
     - spark-streaming-akka
     - ...
- bahir-flink
    - flink-connector-redis
    - ...

In "bahir-parent", we could define all release-related plugins, apache rat,
checkstyle?, general project information and all the other stuff that makes
a bahir project "bahir" ;)
In the "bahir-<system>" parent, we could define all platform specific
dependencies and settings.

> - Enable for more flexibility on releases, permitting disruptive changes in
> one platform without affecting others

With the structure proposed above, I guess we could actually have an
independent versioning / releasing for the "bahir-<system>" parent tree.

> - Enable better versioning schema for different platforms (e.g. Spark
> following the Spark release version schema, while Flink having it's own
> schema)
> - etc
>
> One Repository
> - Enable sharing common components (which in my view will be mostly
> infrastructure pieces that once created are somewhat stable)

Since you are the project PMC chair, I propose to go for the "multiple
repositories" approach if nobody objects within 24 hours?

Once we have concluded our discussion here, I'll send a summary to the
Flink dev@ list and see what they think about it.
I expect them to agree to our proposals, since the "bahir approach" is our
favorite.

Regards,
Robert