I suppose with the hackathon and flink forward behind us, I'm thinking we
should start shifting gears more getting what we have into master in
production state and less on continuing working on a hacking branch. If we
think it'll fairly quick there's no big need to create an official branch,
and if it's going to be long lived perhaps we should rethink our process.
On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 3:44 PM Aljoscha Krettek <aljos...@apache.org>
wrote:

> I would also be in favour of adding a branch to our main repo. A random
branch on some personal GitHub account can seem a bit sketchy and adding a
branch to our repo could make it more visible for people that are
interested.

> On 12. Apr 2018, at 15:29, Ben Sidhom <sid...@google.com> wrote:

> I would say that most of it is not suitable for direct merging. There are
several reasons for this:

> Most changes are built on upstream PRs that are either not submitted or
have been rebased before submission.
> There are some very hacky changes in the Python and Java SDKs to get
portable pipelines working. For example, hard coding certain options and/or
baking dependencies into the SDK harness images. These need to be actually
implemented correctly in their respective SDKs.
> Much of the code does not have proper tests and fails simple lint tests.

> As a concrete example, I tried cherry-picking the changes from
https://github.com/bsidhom/beam/pull/46 into master. This is a relatively
simple change, but there were so many merge conflicts that in the end it
was easier to just reimplement the changes atop master. More importantly,
most changes will require refactoring before actually going in.