Hi,

I'll try to summarize the mailing list threads to clarify why I think this addition is needed (and actually necessary):

 a) there are situations where the order of input events matter (obviously any finite state machine)

 b) in streaming case, this can be handled by the current machinery (e.g. holding elements in state, sorting all elements with timestamp less than input watermark, dropping latecomers)

 c) in batch case, this can be handled the same way, but

  i) due to the nature of batch processing, that has extreme requirements on the size of state needed to hold the elements (actually, in extreme, that might be the whole input, which might not be feasible)

  ii) although it is true, that watermark might (and will) fall behind in streaming processing as well so that similar issues might arise there too, it is hardly imaginable that it will fall behind as much as several years (but it is absolutely natural in batch case) - I'm talking about regular streaming processing, not some kappa like architectures, where this happens as well, but is causes troubles ([1])

  iii) given the fact, that some runners already use sort-merge groupings, it is actually virtually for free to also sort elements inside groups by timestamps, the runner just has to know, that it should do so

I don't want to go too far into details to keep this focused, but the fact that runner would know that it should sort by timestamp before stateful pardo brings additional features that are currently unavailable - e.g. actually shift event time smoothly, as elements flow through, not from -inf to +inf in one shot. That might have positive effect on timers being fired smoothly and thus for instance being able to free some state that would have to be held until the end of computation otherwise.

Therefore, I think it is essential for users to be able to tell runner that a particular stateful pardo depends on order of input events, so that the runner can use optimizations available in batch case. The streaming case is mostly unaffected by that, because all the sorting can be handled the usual way.

Hope this helps to clarify why it would be good to introduce (some way) to mark stateful pardos as "time sorted".

Cheers,

 Jan

[1] https://www.ververica.com/resources/flink-forward-san-francisco-2019/moving-from-lambda-and-kappa-architectures-to-kappa-at-uber

Hope these thoughts help