On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:42:30AM +1000, David Wilson wrote:
> Matt,
>
>       In the the developer Page
> (
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Bibliographic_Project's_Developer_Page
>  )
> Stage 1, was intended as the 'minimal' requirement. And Stage 2 as the
> "intermediate" . I can see it would be better to state this as a clear
> objective.

ah.  that's really excellent, thank you.  This also pointed me to
wiki/Bibliographic_Document_XML_Format which I had skimmed over
before, but is now much clearer to me.  I have to say the changes to
the file format look so simple and manifestly superior to the current
setup that it's astonishing they haven't been approved yet.

> Your suggestions are good so I will have a go at re-working the page with
> Bruce's and your comments.
>
> I agree with Bruce the OOo database is not a minimal requirement. I like the
> idea that the OOo database would behave like any other Internet data source.
> If we built the DB interface to work via Zoom / Z39.50 interfaces direct to
> internet sources - (library catalogues, etc) then the Internal OOoBib
> database becomes more complex to build because we would need to build a
> Z39.50 server for it as well, or other programming to make look as if it was
> working behind a such a server.

I see you and Bruce are not of one mind about this, I can't say I know
enough to have an opinion.

> Also CiteProc is working right now using data stored in an eXist xml
> database.
> The quickest way to build something that works would be to build a xforms
> based browser to work with eXist and a function to inset the selected
> citation into Writer.

I know nothing about Xforms.  Is this something that could be built,
as it were, from within OOo?  Or are you talking about a separate
application?

sound in any case as though the "minimal" target is not quite so far
away as I'd htought, which is very good news of course.

Matt