Hi Folks,

I've just been going through the list archives & some ofthe wiki
documents & trying to figure out some priorities for all this work that
lies ahead. Seems to me it would be useful to define several targets --
say "minimal", "intermediate", and "polished" and lay out what needs to
be done for each.  We have a number of descriptions of ideal-world
functionality, and I'd like to see more discussion of how to get there.
THis would perhaps help in the identification of roadblocks.

So what follows is an attempt to define a minimal target.  My general
ignorance about e.g. the state of the OASIS file format negotiations and
the level of flexibility within the currently available OASIS framework,
will doubtless be evident.

SO, tell me if you think it's a useful document.

Minimal Bibliographic Interface

Target Goals:  Allow expert users to insert useful citations by (a)
creating durable citation infrastructure within sw; (b) designing a new
bibliographic database structure; (c) creating a minimal interface which
uses citeproc to link (a) and (b).

Obviously missing functionality:  aiblity to create and modify database
directly within OOo.  It is a ssumed that database management per se
will take place through an existing interface (endnote, bibus, or the
like) and be funnelled through some kind of filter to produce a native
bibliography.

Tasks:

(1) Modify the sw code to enable citation data to be saved and
displayed, to making citations avialable by UNO hooks. (these are CPH's
'1-4' of an earlier post.)  Assigned to CPH.

(2) Complete design of database.  Not assigned

(3) port Citeproc to python. Not assigned.
---------
1-3 can be worked on simultaneously and starting from now, I reckon.
---------
(4) build filters to generate database records and xml/rdf metadata
records from MODS datasets.  THis might be conceived as an extension to
bibutils?

(5) build a UNO application that provides a graphic user interface to
the bibliographic data, allowing insertion and (per-document) formatting
of citation data).  This involves

---------
4 will probably be tricky in its particulars but it might be possible to
get something basic off the ground quite quickly.

5 seems to me a good candidate for a Summer Of Code or other ambitious
programming project.  It would be nice to have the supporting framework
in place for any ambitious individuals wanting to make a push.