I understand that when there are issues with trivial fixes, it's sometimes
much easier to just fix them yourself. I think it's still beneficial if
people are willing to work with the original contributor to fix things, but
I understand not everyone will be able to invest that time. If an alternate
fix is made that supersedes a patch which was contributed, I still think
this should be communicated to the original contributor along with a link
to the fix. This at least gives the person an opportunity to learn.

--
Michael Mior
mm...@apache.org