> maven-wrapper.jar is a binary file, and we cannot have binary files in
> source distributions. (Note that ./mvnw can bootstrap just fine without it.
> Also note that it is not checked into git — I guess it is created during
> the release build process.)

Hmmm that is interesting. ./mvnw downloads the
.mvn/wrapper/maven-wrapper.jar file. The release steps say to use ./mvnw
(ie: ./mvnw -DskipTests -Papache-release release:perform 2>&1 | tee
/tmp/perform.log) so not sure if there is something I need to do
differently or needs to be figured out to ensure the .mvn directory is not
included in the source distribution.

Kevin Risden