I can chime in on that part Joe. The counters weren't the reasons for launch
issues. It was just actually the volume of messages we were trying to handle in
the cluster, so it didn't matter if it was reads for counts or reads to normal
CFs, we just had more on the count side.

It is very unfortunate that it has come down to forking on Github. Digg is in
the same position as Twitter on this one. We really do depend on 1072, it's now
an integral part of our requirements. We have already felt the pain of trying
to keep up with 1072 in our 0.6 branch. I really hope we can come to a
conscious on this because I am afraid Digg might have to use Twitter's fork as
well.

My two cents on the issue is that, it's an important feature that the community
wants, and the work needing to be done to let 1072, isn't worth the amount of
effort to delay at this stage. I would much rather get the code in, support the
feature and work towards refactoring a better design than completely stalling
the feature.

-Chris