The Apache Software Foundation is *not* a democracy, it is a meritocracy. This
means that only those appointed to the ASF board/PMC, actually have any right
to vote or have a say in anything. People are added to the PMC/Board based on
their perceived knowledge/merit/performance. Mr. Mattmann is just a
representative of the governing body.

On 8/15/16, 2:37 PM, "San Luoji" <sanlu...@gmail.com> wrote:

    > That’s not optional. If you are an ASF project, mailing lists are the
    source of truth. Period.

    Since when dictatorship becomes part of the culture in Apache Cassandra
    community?

    dic·ta·tor·ship
    dikˈtādərˌSHip,ˈdiktādərˌSHip/
    *noun*

       1. government by a dictator.
       "forty years of dictatorship"
       synonyms: absolute rule, undemocratic rule, despotism

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+despotism&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoIHzAA>
       , tyranny

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+tyranny&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoIIDAA>
       , autocracy

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+autocracy&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoIITAA>
       , autarchy

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+autarchy&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoIIjAA>
       ,authoritarianism, totalitarianism, fascism

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+fascism&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoIIzAA>
       ; More

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+oppression&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoIJTAA>

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+repression&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoIJjAA>

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+democracy&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoIJzAA>
       - a country governed by a dictator.
          plural noun: *dictatorships*
          synonyms: absolute rule, undemocratic rule, despotism

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+despotism&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoIKTAA>
          , tyranny

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+tyranny&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoIKjAA>
          , autocracy

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+autocracy&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoIKzAA>
          , autarchy

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+autarchy&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoILDAA>
          ,authoritarianism, totalitarianism, fascism

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+fascism&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoILTAA>
          ; More

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+oppression&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoILzAA>

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+repression&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoIMDAA>

<https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+democracy&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1nJ33hsTOAhUL72MKHbv7DdAQ_SoIMTAA>
          - absolute authority in any sphere.

    On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 12:03 PM, Chris Mattmann <mattm...@apache.org>
    wrote:

> [...]
    > They *are*
    >     the lifeblood of the Apache project.
    >

    >     On 8/15/16, 10:44 AM, "Brandon Williams" <dri...@gmail.com<mailto:
    > dri...@gmail.com>> wrote:
    >
    >        I too, use this method quite a bit, almost every single day.
    >
    >        On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 12:43 PM, Yuki Morishita <
    > mor.y...@gmail.com<mailto:mor.y...@gmail.com>> wrote:
    >
    >     As an active committer, the most important thing for me is to be able
    >     to *look up* design discussion and decision easily later.
    >
    >     I often look up the git history or CHANGES.txt for changes that I'm
    >     interested in, then look up JIRA by following JIRA ticket number
    >     written to the comment or text.
    >     If we move to dev mailing list, I would request to post permalink to
    >     that thread posted to JIRA, which I think is just one extra step that
    >     isn't necessary if we simply use JIRA.
    >
    >     So, I'm +1 to just post JIRA link to dev list.
    >

    >     On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Chris Mattmann <mattm...@apache.org
    > <mailto:mattm...@apache.org>>
    >     wrote:
    >     This is a good outward flow of info to the dev list. However, there
    >     needs to be
    >     inward flow too – having the convo on the dev list will be a good
start
    >     to that.
    >     I hope to see more inclusivity here.
    >

    >     On 8/15/16, 10:26 AM, "Aleksey Yeschenko" <alek...@apache.org<mailto:
    > alek...@apache.org>> wrote:
    >
    >        Well, if you read carefully what Jeremiah and I have just proposed,
    >     it wouldn’t be an issue.
    >
    >        The notable major changes would start off on dev@ (think, a
    >     summary, a link to the JIRA, and maybe an attached spec doc).
    >
    >        No need to follow the JIRA feed. Watch dev@ for those announcements
    >     and start watching the invidual JIRA tickets if interested.
    >
    >        This creates the least amount of noise: you miss nothing important,
    >     and at the same time you won’t be receiving mail from
    >        dev@ for each individual comment - including those on proposals you
    >     don’t care about.
    >
    >        We aren’t doing it currently, but we could, and probably should.
    >
    >        --
    >        AY
    >
    >        On 15 August 2016 at 18:22:36, Chris Mattmann (mattm...@apache.org
    > <mailto:mattm...@apache.org>)
    >     wrote:
    >
    >        Discussion belongs on the dev list. Putting discussion in JIRA, is
    >     fine, but realize,
    >        there is a lot of noise in that signal and people may or may not be
    >     watching
    >        the JIRA list. In fact, I don’t see JIRA sent to the dev list at
all
    >     so you are basically
    >        forking the conversation to a high noise list by putting it all in
    >     JIRA.
    >

    >        On 8/15/16, 10:11 AM, "Aleksey Yeschenko" <alek...@apache.org
    > <mailto:alek...@apache.org>>
    >     wrote:
    >
    >        I too feel like it would be sufficient to announce those major
JIRAs